- About ACI
- News & Events
- Student Services
- Contact Us
Court Reporting Career Online
Arlington Career Institute’s Online Court Reporting program offers all the benefits of the ground program, along with the freedom and flexibility gained through online learning. Stenograph and Schoology are used as hosts, which allows ACI to access all record-keeping documents, assignments, virtual classroom chat logs, forum postings, exams and other student communication.
The online delivery of court reporting competencies enables students to practice challenging material in order to meet the competency standards of each course. Graduates of this program are fully prepared for an entry-level position as a court reporter.
A DSL or a cable broadband internet connection at student’s home. ( Students may not rely on an internet connection somewhere other than in the home where they reside.)
ACI Internet & Computer Requirements as of August 2019
NOTE to students who have been enrolled in court reporting school in the past: Case CATalyst version 12 and higher use our keyless security option called e-Key. If you have installed Case CATalyst in the past, and you are eligible for e-Key but haven’t converted yet, please contact Stenograph Technical Support at 800-323-4247 for more information.
Operating Systems recommended:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8.1
- NOTE: Microsoft will end support of Windows 7 on January 14, 2020, and will no longer provide security updates or support information. Stenograph strongly recommends using a current Operating System due to security concerns and limited ability to troubleshoot Windows 7 related issues. Windows 7 is not recommended.
Computer Processor (CPU)
- A processor speed of 2GHz or higher. An Intel i3, i5, i7, or AMD equivalent is strongly recommended.
- 2 GB of RAM or more.
- 40 GB hard drive with at least 20 GB of free space. An 80 GB hard drive or larger is recommended.
- A DirectX 9 compatible video card with a minimum of 256 MB Video RAM.
- SVGA monitor capable with a 1024×768 or higher resolution.
- A Windows compatible sound card for audio recording at 8KHz, 16-bit.
- A Windows compatible external, self-powered, or battery powered microphone.
- A USB port for the writing machine to write realtime.
- Optional Equipment: A Windows compatible mouse or other pointing device.
- NOTE: Many editing commands rely on the Function Keys (F1 – F12), especially relying on F4 when inserting format symbols. Stenograph suggests you purchase a PC that has Function Keys.
This document does not address Apple computer recommendations. For information, click our article about using Case CATalyst on an Apple computer.
STUDENTS USING A MAC are responsible for ensuring the computer is partitioned properly to run Windows. ACI does not provide assistance with the partition. It’s strongly recommended when using a Mac to use Bootcamp to both partition and then install Windows onto that partition. Stenograph does not support the use of Case Catalyst court reporting software through Parallels.
*** A Chromebook does not run Windows. A Chromebook must be running a native Windows Operating System, preferably Windows 10.
If the Chromebook is running the Android Operating System, the computer would not be compatible with Case CATalyst.
Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel (these can be purchased through Microsoft Office 365 for as little as $6.00 a month … products.office.com) (Excel isn’t needed until much later.)
Make sure the computer you purchase has a return or exchange policy in case incompatibles arise.